After that paper, I did go to the session I had originally wanted to attend. I had to sit on the floor for awhile since the room was packed and all the doorways were filled with eager viewers. (Top Technology Trends: Where is the Revolution Leading Us Next) Be sure to take a look at the linked site for information. Lots of ideas were exchanged. I was a little disappointed that the panel lacked expertise and knowledge about a few things. But, hey, they can't know everything.
Some of the tidbits I want to explore further:
- Web 2.0 catalog tools like user comments would be a natural lead-in to Journal Clubs.
- One English instructor put out a feeler for a Second Life English 101 course and got 200 responses right away. Possible Info Lit avenue???
- IBM is going to offer its employee training on Second Life.
- 47% of the respondents thought that the preferred search tool of the near future would be Google Scholar. No really close second.
- The respondents were almost evenly divided on the most challenging technology for libraries -- (1) EMR and (2) Web 2.0 integration